Every NASA astronaut who goes into space is wearing an inflatable life preserver from Mustang Survival.
The MAC10 is a unique product with a proud tradition of nearly 20 years service and performance. The MAC10 is a constant wear, hypothermia protective garment designed specifically for use by pilots and passengers flying over water in light aircraft, float planes, helicopters, long range patrol aircraft and even high performance jets. This unique product combines protection against all of the following hazards: fire and its radiant heat, cold exposure, cold water immersion and drowning. As a result, the MAC-10 replaces multiple garment layers normally worn by aircrew for protection from individual operational hazards.
The MAC10 is a close fitting, tailored garment engineered for maximum mobility during aircraft operations. Zippered ankle gussets assist in donning and doffing. A range of pockets is provided to store personal items: notepads, pens and survival equipment including survival knife. An insulated thermal protective hood, stored in the right leg pocket, minimizes heat loss and provides good fire protection for the head.
Patented Tug-Tite® closures at the wrist and ankles enhance the in-water hypothermia protective performance by minimizing cold water flushing. Even after being significantly marred by fire or puncture, the suit still offers very good flotation and hypothermia protection. This fault tolerance is in stark contrast to the vulnerability of aviation dry suits to relatively minor degrees of damage.
The durable anti-static, flame resistant Nomex® aramid fabric provides external protection for the inherently buoyant, flame resistant, thermally protective integral wet suit. An inner layer of Nomex® aramid fabric provides further flame resistant protection and
comfort, and completes the MAC-10's three layers of protection. Rugged leather panels are integrated into high wear areas of the knees and seat for increased resistance to abrasion, petroleum, fuel oils and soiling.
The MAC100 is compatible with any life jacket, such as the Mustang Survival's twin chambered FAA approved constant wear MD1127 inflatable life jacket. The MAC-10 can be customized for high performance aircraft to provide pass through's for Anti-G garments worn beneath the suit.
A three layer aramid / PVC / aramid construction provides outstanding protection from radiant heat and fire. The MAC-10 coverall achieves a Thermal Protective Performance (TPP) rating of 1,900 kJ/m2. This equates to 20 seconds protection from second degree burn, under exposure to a heat flux of 84 KW/m2. A heat flux of 84 KW/m2 corresponds to conditions around a crashed aircraft when fuel is burning fiercely. Full manikin burn tests conducted on the MAC-10 demonstrates that no second or third degree burns were allowed within this area of coverage. This contrasts with second degree burns to 57% of the body surface area covered by a plain Nomex® flight suit.
- Nomex® outer shell and inner lining provide protection from flash fire and flame resistance
- Flame resistant AirSoft foam liner for flotation and hypothermia protection
- Inherent buoyancy of 18-21 lbs., size dependent. This is designed to be well below the 35 lbs. maximum recommended for ditched helicopter egress, yet above the 15.5 lbs. minimum buoyancy required for a PFD
- Thermal insulation of 0.47 immersed clo is achieved when tested on the thermally instrumented manikin with Tug-Tite® closures secured, and thermal protective hood donned
- Extra room in high movement areas for maximum mobility and comfort
- Leather patches at seat and knees provide superior abrasion resistance and offer protection from petroleum, fuel oils and soiling
- Insulated thermal protective hood is flame resistant and stores in right leg pocket
- Engineered to provide generous room in high movement areas for maximum mobility and comfort
- Zippered ankle gussets assist in donning and doffing
- A range of pockets is provided to store personal items like notepads, pens and survival equipment including a survival knife
- Patented Tug-Tite® closures at the wrist and ankles enhance the in water hypothermia protective performance by minimizing cold water flushing
- Add the MD1127 Constant Wear Twin Chamber Aviation Inflatable Life Vest (sold separately) for flotation protection in case of emergency landing. MD1127 features a unique slim profile for constant wear comfort and mobility with helmet on and is compatible with aircraft seat harness. Click HERE for all the information on the MD1127 PFD approved by the FAA
- Replacement carry case is available MA7105
- Replacement 3 finger thermal protective mitts MA7102
- Also available inflatable survival mitts MA7149
Immersed Clo 0.47
Mustang Survival CAGE / NSCM / FSC 37463
* * Export restrictions may apply, call for inquiry.